1. General Provisions
The Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Tuva, the InternationalScientificCenter “Khoomey", the Tuvan center of traditional culture and crafts spend VII International ethno musicological Symposium "Khoomey – a cultural phenomenon of the peoples of Inner Asia."
VII International Festival of throat singing "Music of the Great Steppe" will be held at with participation of artists from the regions of the Russian Federation - Bashkortostan, Gornuy Altai, Shoriya, Kamchatka, Khakassia, Buryatia, Yakutia, Chukotka, Tuva Republic, Moscow, St. Petersburg, Tomsk, Irkutsk, Novosibirsk, from foreign countries: Belarus, Mongolia (Inner Mongolia Hotta), the UK, the USA, Japan, France, Germany, Brazil, Norway, Spain, China and to promote the development of researching on the comparative analysis of throat singing with solo overtone performing peoples of Central Asia during the symposium.
2. Goals and objectives of the festival:
- Patriotic and moral education of youth through traditional art of khoomey and other national folklore;
- Identify talented throat singers, performers playing the khomus and masters of Tuvan national instruments;
- Promoting the development and preservation of the best traditions of khoomey schools;
- Promotion of Tuvan throat singing on a global scale;
- Engaging seniors khoomey performers for the revival and continuation of the traditional methods of performing Tuvan khoomey (khorekteer, dumchuktaar, kumzattaar, kanzyp, chylandyk, etc.);
- Promoting development of rare techniques and subspecies of Tuvan khoomey performers such as borbannadyr, ezengileer, Khoomey, kargyraa, despen borban, lullaby Khoomey etc.;
- Promoting development of Tuvan khoomey poetry and "singing without words", national costumes and its paraphernalia;
- Revival of forgotten traditional methods of playing aero phones (wind instruments), chordophones (string), idiophone (self-sounding).
3. Organizational matters
Each participant (solo, ensemble) must submit an application form (attached) and copies of the required documents to participate in the festival up to 30 May 2014. Register on arrival, take part in the competition within the specified time.
Organizers determine schedule of rehearsals, performances and have the right to use the material for promotional purposes of the festival.
- Arriving time - _____ 30.
- Scientificl Conference – ____ 2014.
- Festival – _____ 2014.
- Award Ceremony and Gala Concert – _____ 2014.
4. Participants of the festival
The festival is open to everyone with no restrictions (age, sex, national origin), those who will have passed the qualifying round (allowed both solo and ensemble performance), including People’s Khoomeyzhi and owners of the Grand Prix of the International Symposia.
Representatives of foreign countries and other regions of Russia are eligible to apply without passing the qualifying round.
Payment of a registration fee of 1,000 (one thousand) rubles for participation in the competition must be paid until _____ 30, 2014.
5. Program requirements
The length of performance:
Solo is no more than 3-4 minutes;
Ensemble is 7-8 minutes.
Performance of solo numbers - ad libitum (at own discretion), without restrictions, but under the current rules. For the duration of the performance is regulation deduction of points. Ensemble performance is limited by two contrasting things.
Due to the fact that in the folk tradition was taken into account the type of performance measured peculiar lifestyle and worldview of nomads who in modern conditions undergoes transformation (quickening rhythm, punching, etc.) and go beyond the traditional performance, breaking the centuries-old canons of national music, when summing up of the festival will take into account the following:
6. Rewarding and nomination of the festival:
- Continuation of performing traditions of khoomey schools (Hunashtaar-ool Oorzhak, Maxim Dakpay, Kyzyl-ool Sanchy, Ak- ool Kara- Sal, Manchak Sat, Marzhymal Ondar, Soruktu Kyrgys, Kombu Ondar, etc.);
- Cleanliness of performance techniques;
- Esthetics, content and depth of the text (verbal) Intonation, necessarily including the ancient melodies, while excluded from the program execution everyday pattern of verbal texts, which goes from year to year;
- Universality (as the fulfillment of a large number of techniques Tuvan khoomey and execution of a large number of subspecies within a single main reception at the appropriate level);
- Correspondence, harmony of instrumental accompaniment to the main execution;
- Originality of performance;
- Comparative performance comparison techniques with or without text. Typical features of Tuvan folk song melodies;
- Authenticity, technique and artistry;
- The Best Costume. (National clothes and own instruments);
- 10. Encouraging artists generic (dynastic) tunes, passing by inheritance from previous masters made to tradition each performer in the regions (Altai, Shor epic "kai", Khakassian epic "hai", Mongolian (liquid, solid) "Khoomiy", Yakut " tanalay yrata", "habarga yryata ", Bashkir "uzlyayu" or "tamak-kuray", Eskimo "katadzhak", "Sami", Kyrgyz "Manas", Tuvan khoomey), which are not identical Tuvan throat singing to promote, develop by comparative analysis solo obertone different nations;
- Experimenting with new directions of folk ethnic music;
- Melodic, rhythmic sounding of Tuvan khorekteer, associated with habits of work, respect for traditional canons.
- Grand Prix
- Winners: I, II, III.
- Diploma: I, II, III.
- Diploma ensemble performance: I, II, III.
- Best throat singers regions (Altai, Shor epic «kai», Khakassian epic «hai», Mongolian (liquid, solid) «Khoomiy», Yakut « tanalay yrata», «habarga yryat», Bashkir «uzlyayu» or «tamak-kuray», Eskimo «katadzhak», «Sami», Kyrgyz «Manas», Tuvan khoomey): 10 nominations
- «The most striking debut»
- «For the best continuation of generic dynastic traditions»
- «Hope" of the festival»
- «For the originality of the ensemble»
- «The youngest participant of the festival»
- «The best veteran performer»
- «For the best avant-garde performance»
- «Audience Award»
- «The best word intonation»
- «Women Khoomey»
- «Best Instrumentalist»
- Other prizes
The jury reserves the right not to award or award of additional nominations, special prizes, etc.
667000, Republic of Tuva, Kyzyl, Lenin str. 7.
Tel.: +7 (394 22) 2 33 18 (Kyrgys Z.)
Tel.: +7 (394 22) 3 38 97 (department specialists) .
Full information about the VII International Ethnomusicology festival of throat singing khoomey performers “Music of the Great Steppe” posted on the official website: www.khoomey.ru